The Yoga: Going Within book aims to assist you in exploring the benefits of yoga by simplifying the instructions and building a regular routine. Learn what relaxing yoga poses can do for your body.
Some of the benefits of yoga include:
- Improved flexibility: if you spend a lot of your time sitting and you’re tired of the pain associated with tight hips and rounded shoulders, yoga can help alleviate this, if not reduce it altogether. Carrying out both active and relaxing yoga poses stretches the body in new ways to increase flexibility and reduces the effects of stiff and tight muscles. With regular practice, you will find yourself becoming gradually more flexible and you’ll notice with this alignment also comes improved posture.
- Refined balance: as we age, balance becomes more important. Certain poses with yoga, for example Tree pose, are wonderful for developing the core strength necessary to maintain an upright position. It also promotes coordination and a sense of calm. Align your centre of gravity with the earth to bring yourself into a peaceful equilibrium.
- Enhanced strength and tone: the strength training associated with certain aspects of a yoga routine work to develop certain muscle groups. Take for example the more intense poses, which force a person to support their own weight more – this increases the level of stress placed upon your muscles and works toward improving tone.
- Increased awareness of breath: in times of stress, our breathing increases and we activate the sympathetic nervous system, preparing the body to respond to danger. With this comes a higher blood pressure and heart rate. Deep and controlled breathing can have the reverse effect, reducing your blood pressure and slowing your heart rate. Controlling your breath in this manner allows you to calm your body and mind and influence other aspects of your life.
- Reduced stress: for good reason, almost everyone references a reduction in stress as one of the benefits of yoga. This is tied to an enhanced sense of self and the abovementioned awareness of breath, both of which naturally lift your mood, reduce self-judgement, and enhance self-compassion.
- Weight loss: for one thing, the strengthening and toning aspects of yoga contribute to the burning of calories. Reduced stress brings a better night’s sleep, which is also linked to weight reduction. However we mustn’t overlook the fact that when you are more in tune with your body, you naturally develop more conscious eating habits.
You’re invited to enjoy the benefits of yoga and turn time at home into a positive experience by turning off your device, opening this book, and following the clear instructions at your own pace. Not only will you experience reduced screen time, reduced eye strain, and reduced headaches, but through studying the vibrant illustrations pulsing with their own energy, you’ll increase your focus and be able/equipped/empowered to take on the benefits of yoga practice further within yourself.